Global Yell Ltd
With the help of LEADER, Global Yell, a social enterprise based in Yell, has established the Centre for Creative Industries to promote textile and music based activities and events throughout Shetland
- weaving workshops with nursery pupils in Shetland Schools;
- “Singing Saturdays” for older primary age children;
- adult learning sewing classes;
- singing sessions for adults with learning difficulties;
- “Textile tours” to market Shetland craft products to visitors.
The Centre’s running costs for 3 years from 2009 to 2012 were supported by LEADER funding of £41,787 and by Shetland Islands Council and Highlands and Islands Enterprise. The Centre houses four state-of-the-art computer aided looms that enable it to attract professional weavers to take up residencies, and are also used by textiles students from Shetland College.
The project’s benefits are widespread:
- individuals of all ages acquiring new skills and confidence;
- increased community activity and events and new community groups bringing people together;
- the local economy and individual micro businesses benefit from the development of new craft products and the promotion of Shetland craft producers.